Monday, May 11, 2009

Anglican Covenant Process

It seems that the Anglican Consultative Council at its recently adjourned meeting in Jamaica has approved the first three sections of the Ridley-Cambridge Draft of the Anglican Covenant. I say, 'bravo.' The controversial fourth section was not sent forward as it stands, and needs more revision. Again, I say, 'bravo.' I think the first three sections are perfectly fine, and more importantly, go a long way to rather sufficiently outlining what the essence of the Christian faith and Anglicanism as a coherent fellowship of regional churches professes and practices. Many on the extreme left have not wanted even that much clarity, but I sense that those of us somewhere in the center of Anglicanism, who primarily are concerned with orthodoxy as much as 'generosity' in orthodoxy, feel that putting the basics down in rather clear form is worth doing. (After all, in a sense, isn't that similar to the Anglican/Episcopalian impulse behind our having a Book of Common Prayer and Hymnal which we can point to and say, "This is what we believe.")

As Suffragan Bishop of New York Cathy Roskam pointed out, and perhaps rightly, the controversial fourth section had the ring of a prenuptial agreement to it - and in that sense goes to undermining the covenantal nature of -- well -- the covenant. As I understand a covenant, there is no 'out' clause.

I was interested by the tenor of critique coming largely from the extreme left and right in recent days. Predictably, both are largely against the Covenant in form or process. The extreme left has always been against it, arguing that we "just don't need" any kind of articulation or clarity in the profession of our faith and identity. Behind much of that, I sense, is that the extreme left (in my view) has coupled two elements -- one is a support for the inclusion of married gay persons into all orders of ministry and the other is a lack of support for ...well... any notion of theological boundaries for the good of the integrity of catholic proclamation. The covenant would be sort of a double-nightmare, because it might both seek to prohibit inclusion of partnered glbt folk from ministry, AND, it would be 'confessional.' On the extreme right (in my view) we have the strong conviction that glbt folks are living in sin when in partnered relationships, that such sin should not be blessed or approved of in any way, AND, they are also quite frequently looking for an excess of precision in confessional statements which often looks more like evangelical/Calvinist protestantism than comprehensive Anglicanism. Both groups also tend to be fairly ambivalent to the value of the Communion anyway, and seem to prefer the idea of either a 'radically autonomous Episcopal Church' or a hermeneutically homogenous Anglican Communion.

Somewhere in the middle of those extremes, however, we find folk who may disagree over the degree and/or timing of inclusion of partnered glbt folks, or their biblical hermeneutic, or their liturgical preferences, but who also can agree that they prefer to remain together and work out the differences. Those, in other words, who are looking for comprehensiveness are willing to compromise -- or fudge (as the extremists always call it) -- generally agreeing to tolerate significant disagreement over important issues. This latter group tend to be the sorts who can remain together despite disagreement over either timing or the principle of the ordination of women, the principle of remarriage after divorce, sacramental theology, or questions of liturgical form.

As I have long believed, the genius of Anglicanism (which transcends any of its member provinces), has to do with identifying and professing a narrow but sufficient bundle of essentials, discerning which very important things are of a secondary nature, and agreeing to tolerate some uncomfortable differences for the sake of the dream that God wishes us to be one.

I think the first three sections of the Ridley-Cambridge draft go a long way in making the essentials clear enough.

What was also interesting in the press conference held by Kenneth Kearon was how conservative interlocutors argued that the ACC, and the leaders of the process, were engaging in word games, a degree of muddledness, and leaving important words vague enough to be understood differently by different hearers. I say this is a funny charge, considering that as I have always understood it, the Nicene Creed itself was the result of such a process. Arguably, it ultimately failed to hold East and West together - but in a way it lasted for a good long time.

8 comments:

Steve in Toronto said...

1. I really like the tone of this post but I would like to point out that “Calvinist” and “Evangelical” are two distinct categories that can but increasingly rarely overlap. I can not speak for other jurisdictions but in my Diocese (the Anglican diocese of Toronto) we have seen a marked shift away from Calvinism in our Evangelical parishes towards an “emergent” or “Generous” flavor of Orthodoxy. Toronto’s Wycliffe collage was once a stronghold of Calvinist Orthodoxy but it has long ceased to be reformed in any but the loosest sense of the word. Apart from JI Packer I cannot name a single prominent Canadian Anglican priest who would describe themselves as Calvinist without significant qualifications or reservations (I am sure they are a few around but they don’t seem to be making a lot of noise). I know this is a big issue in England thanks to Richard Turnbull’s troubled tenure at Wycliffe Hall Oxford but apart from Sidney I don’t know of any other reformed strongholds. I should add that I miss them. I have always found that the Reformed wing of the Reformation was the only protestant theological camp that came even close to the depth and comprehensiveness of Roman Catholic Theology.

God bless
Steve in Toronto
Orthodoxy. Toronto’s Wycliffe collage was once a stronghold of Calvinist Orthodoxy but it has long ceased to be reformed in any but the loosest sense of the word. Apart from JI Packer I cannot name a single prominent Canadian Anglican priest who would describe themselves as Calvinist without significant qualifications or reservations (I am sure they are a few around but they don’t seem to be making a lot of noise). I know this is a big issue in England thanks to Richard Turnbull’s troubled tenure at Wycliffe Hall Oxford but apart from Sidney I don’t know of any other reformed strongholds. I should add that I miss them. I have always found that the Reformed wing of the Reformation was the only protestant theological camp that came even close to the depth and comprehensiveness of Roman Catholic Theology.

God bless
Steve in Toronto

Unknown said...

Hi Steve--I would be curious for you to expand your statement that the "Reformed wing of the Reformation was the only protestant theological camp that came even close to the depth and comprehensiveness of Roman Catholic Theology".

I may certainly be reading your statement incorrectly, but inserting the following [bracketed] terms if I may in to your statement, it reads: "the [Calvinist] wing of the [Protestant] Reformation was the only protestant theological camp that came even close to the depth and comprehensiveness of Roman Catholic Theology"--are my insertions (and logical assumptions based thereon) correct?

If so, I have never viewed any of the reformers' goals as being equal to the thrust of RC theology, much less the innocuous descriptions of "depth" and "comprehensiveness" that you have assigned to them (the "Reformed" reformers, as it were).

I agree with you wholeheartedly that "Calvinist" and "evangelical" rarely overlap. I have always held that no true Calvinist is ever actually concerned about anyone else--taking Calvin at his purest, what's the point, right?

I suppose "reformed" for some means a call to adhere to orthodoxy, i.e. if you don't adhere, you're out; whereas an "emergent" or "generous" viewpoint is less concerned with the dogma of the day (or era) and more concerned with a "from the bottom-up", relationship-driven theology. As an aside, I find the latter far more in line with the practical Gospel than the former in that Jesus was never disappointed in those who couldn't recite the law, but seemed to reserve his wrath for those who could.

As an aside, one of my tutors at Oxford in the early '90s was associated with Wycliffe Hall and, while certainly "evangelical" within Anglican Communion, it was anything but "reformed". My how times have changed at WH, eh?

Bill Carroll said...

I would support a covenant that reaffirmed the quadrilateral. I have no real desire to remain in communion with Christians who can't subscribe to the four provisions therein. The trouble is that we have a good number of Anglicans who seem to think that we should require a great deal more.

I can't understand why we would require more of Anglicans than we do of other Christians in our ecumenical partnerships. It has always seemed hypocritical to me, for example, that the Church of England can be in full communion with the Church of Sweden and yet doubt that it can maintain full communion with the Episcopal Church.

Christopher said...

Fr. Greg,

I too appreciate the tone and I am in over all agreement with your assessment of what has come to be passed at the ACC.

Like Fr. Bill and I suspect Fr. Tobias, I have tended to be opposed to the covenant because I have perceived that the main emphasis has not been with restating and reaffirming those things which Anglicanism is about or providing space for a "reboot".

(As an aside, I think the Indaba approach was a partial reboot--and it seems many bishops breathed a supply of relief at an Anglican approach after Lambeth 1998; I think Indaba or something similar should have been the focus of the ACC and our own upcoming GC as well. It is interesting but our relational approach actually shares much with traditional African cultural concepts.)

Rather precisely it has been my concern that the covenant approach has been about getting in something like Section 4. Section 4, to my mind, represents a major innovation to Anglicanism. It is not conservative, but a radical change.

I do perceive (as you do) that what has passed to date is on the whole reaffirmation of what I understood Anglican Christianity to be when I made a lateral transfer from Rome to TEC. As with Fr. Bill, I'm not interested in an Anglicanism that gives up the basics of the Quadrilateral, Prayer Book, or diakonia of our tradition. If there is anything we require more of than of our fellow Christians, say our Lutheran kin, it is our Prayer Book tradition, to my mind, a uniquely Anglican approach to unity-in-diversity.

I don't think that my makes me someone on the extreme left, but very concerned that not only would Section 4 begin the implosion of Communion, deepening differences to the breaking point even across the middle, rather than allowing for the middle-muddle to continue in our ongoing process of theologizing-by-conversation in a generous orthodox, catholic comprehension.

After all, we are about those relationships, or at least that's what I've learned is at the heart of Anglicanism as I noted at Fr. Bryan's. We may even get mad at one another from time to time, storm off, but we turn back up again to talk some more because in the end we pray together and drink coffee/lunch together after. Archbishop Tutu espied our relational approach quite accurately, "We meet." Those of more ecclesiology precision, confessional precision, or ethical precision (on any side) have called us wimpy for this, but isn't it actually rather lovingly human and generous and in line with the sociality given in Christ?

I'm not even opposed to the moratoria if they provide space for a reboot, but I am very opposed to the tone that has been taken toward persons like myself in the Communion. It is hostile on the whole, seeming to blame us for all of the woes of this Church and the Communion as a whole. That's dangerous for people already very vulnerable, and I say this not just for myself, but for many who live in places far more hostile civilly and ecclesiastically.

In the end, such an approach through Section 4 or something like it has worried me ever since a covenant was proposed because the "Anglicanism" resulting would be of such a character and in part in undertone defined by hostility toward persons like myself that I would need to leave out of conscience. I can put up with a lot but a shift that moves toward open denigration of my person and others like myself would be a dealbreaker and requires me to profess the first article of Creed in contradiction to such a Church or Communion. I think of the kind of response required against the Dutch Reformed in South Africa where a similar denigration of fellow creatures of God was done in the Name of Jesus. And given what I've read around the blogosphere the hostile tone truly frightens me. Again, elsewhere in the world it ratchets up self-righteous beatings and worse. But even here, I have been on the receiving end of slurs, threatened physical violence, and certainly emotional and spiritual harm. And too often because of how we are as Churches, saying "no" to this is met with no backup from anyone else. I've been on the receiving end of slurs while good churchpeople simply stood by and gauked.

Not only have I been concerned with the confessionalizing tendency that is more Reformed/Evangelical, I also have been concerned with a tendency to talk of a universal without particular, a Roman type understanding of catholic exhibited for example in speaking of the Communion as a Church rather than a Communion of Churches. When speaking ecclesiologically this approach doesn't honor our messier but I think in the long-term healthier ecclesial and communal structurings that are rooted in a Center other than ourselves. Our Anglican approach on the whole is about our participation in a Living Relationship of Persons through the Body locally expressed and in communion globally represented; "institution" and such ways of thinking about ecclesiology and Church pale in comparison to this.

Steve in Toronto said...

Hello Chad
I am not a priest or lay theologian so forgive me if I miss represent someone’s theology or short change a tradition that I am not familiar with (I am sure that someone will suggest that I need to read Richard Hooker and Caroline Divines -I know their on my list but I have three kids and a demanding full time job so be patient!). That being said the my impression of the Reformed tradition (like the Roman Catholics) is that they have refused to wall the study of Theology off from the rest of life and have thought seriously about what it means to be a Christian artist, politician or merchant. If you can point me in any other directions please do! Your right that the tradition can seem harsh and does seems to attract some extremely unpleasant types (classic Pharisees) but I have spent a lot of time in reformed circles (my Dad is a PCA ruling elder and my ex had a masters degree from the Institute for Christian Studies: a Dutch Reformed Graduate School in Toronto) and my experience is that the stereotype rarely fits. In fact the young PCA ministers I know (mostly graduates of Westminster in Philadelphia) tend to be better educated (they actually know Greek and most Hebrew) and more pastorally gifted than then most of the Anglican/Episcopal priests our seminaries are turning out these days (I may be completely wrong on this but this is my experience). Thank God there are still a few old school Scholar/priests still around but at least in my neck of the woods they are getting thin on the ground. I am an Anglican because I love liturgy and appreciate the inclusive and the small “c” catholic nature of our church’s theology (a theology that has at least in part been shaped by Calvin as well as men like Wesley and Newman) but I also envy the rigour and seriousness that our reformed brothers and sisters bring to their theology. I don’t want a communion that insists that you sign off on a 35 page (or even 39 article) doctorial statement before you can commune but I would like to be sure that when I say “I believe in God, the Father Almighty, the Maker of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord” that the priest that is leading me has at least roughly the same understanding of what those words mean as I have. All to often this in not the case.

Peace
Steve in Toronto

bls said...

The Anglican Communion has no credibility when it refuses to condemn Peter Akinola's fascist actions in Nigeria and his attempts to have gay people who've committed no crime imprisoned in that country - all the while making gay clergy and same-sex couples in the United States responsible for all its problems.

It will be viewed by history with contempt for its failures on that account - and for its blindness to apparently even recognize these failures. And it doesn't matter in the least to me what happens to it at this point, frankly; it can sink into the sea, for all I care.

The Religious PĂ­caro said...

"It will be viewed by history with contempt for its failures on that account..."

Oh, I don't know about that, bls. We seem to have gotten off scot free for the Anglican role in the Rwandan genocide. Heck, now Rwanda is such a beacon of morality that they are sending missionaries to the US to save us from teh gay, without any apparent sense of irony.

Greg Jones said...

Having been to Rwanda in the post-genocide 90's, allow me to say the Anglican Church I visited there was doing a great deal of reconciliation in the name of Christ Jesus, and it was very humbling. The Diocese of Cyangugu was devastated by the genocidaire, but yet rose again. For all the frustrations I have with the interventions of the Church of Rwanda here, I will never forget the great work they have done in their own place since the 100 days of hell - which was of course unleashed by folks who claimed to also be Christians, and many of whom were indeed Anglicans, Roman Catholics, and other.