Thursday, May 28, 2009

Non-Consents in Forrester Election

As I understand it, Kevin Thew Forrester will need 50 yes votes from diocesan bishops with jurisdiction, and 56 yes votes from diocesan standing committees.

Here's the tally of "No" votes that I have.
  1. Easton,
  2. Olympia,(Public letter from Bishop Rickel)
  3. Bethlehem (Public letter from Bishop Marshall)
  4. Louisiana,
  5. South Carolina,
  6. Kentucky, (Public letter)
  7. N. Indiana,(Public letter)
  8. Southern Ohio, (Public letter)
  9. Rhode Island,
  10. Atlanta,
  11. Albany,
  12. Central Florida,
  13. Springfield,
  14. Dallas,
  15. Western Louisiana,
  16. Southwest Florida,
  17. Arkansas,
  18. Mississippi,
  19. North Carolina (He's my bishop)
  20. Western Kansas
  21. San Diego
  22. Texas
  23. Arizona
  24. North Dakota
  25. Hawaii
  26. West Texas
  27. Fond du Lac
  28. Maryland
  29. Central Pennsylvania
  30. Tennessee
  31. West Tennessee
  32. Montana
  33. Upper South Carolina
  34. Central Gulf Coast
  35. Virginia
  36. West Virginia
  37. Alabama
  38. Southeast Florida (by virtue of abstention)
  39. Florida
  40. Northern California
  41. Ohio
  42. Western North Carolina
  43. Puerto Rico
  44. Colombia
  45. Los Angeles
As well, the following standing committees have likewise not given consent:
  1. Alabama
  2. Albany
  3. Arizona
  4. Arkansas
  5. Central Florida
  6. Central Gulf Coast
  7. Colombia
  8. Colorado
  9. Dallas
  10. El Camino Real
  11. Eau Claire
  12. Europe
  13. Florida
  14. Fond du Lac
  15. Fort Worth
  16. Georgia
  17. Hawaii
  18. Iowa
  19. Los Angeles
  20. Louisiana
  21. Maryland
  22. Mississippi
  23. Missouri
  24. Montana
  25. New Jersey
  26. New York
  27. North Carolina
  28. Northern California
  29. Northern Indiana
  30. Northwestern Pennsylvania
  31. Ohio
  32. Oklahoma
  33. Oregon
  34. Pennsylvania
  35. Pittsburgh
  36. Puerto Rico
  37. Quincy
  38. Rhode Island
  39. Rio Grande
  40. San Diego
  41. Springfield
  42. South Carolina
  43. Southwest Florida
  44. Southwestern Virginia
  45. Tennessee
  46. Texas
  47. Western Kansas
  48. Western Louisiana
  49. Western Michigan
  50. West Missouri
  51. West Tennessee
  52. West Texas
  53. West Virginia

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Add Arkansas. (I think)

Matt Gunter said...

Do you know of any bishops with jurisdiction who have voted to consent?

Fr. Bryan Owen said...

I know that the Standing Committee of the Diocese of MS voted "no", but our bishop is currently on sabbatical ...

Thomas Williams said...

Southwest Florida is a no.

Unknown said...

I'd be willing to say the Bp. Gray will probably vote no.

Fr. Bryan Owen said...

I'm sure you're right, Kevin.

I'm also interested in Matt's question: does anyone know of any "yes" votes?

Anonymous said...

I'm keeping track,too, over at http://apostolicsuccession.wordpress.com, but I have not seen official notice of Bp Lawrence, or Stanton, or Bp Wolf, nor Bp Beckwith or +Atlanta or +SWFlorida. Not that I don't think these will vote no.
SCarolina and Dallas have issued notices apart from their bishops, unless I missed their inclusion. What have you got?
I see Postulant includes SWFlorida. Is there an email or press release available?
I think it will be important to note sources.

Unknown said...

I've been keeping track of consents as well and occasionally posting updates at T19 and StandFirm in the comments.

My list has been at 14 NO and 1 Yes.

I've not seen anything public about votes by

+Rhode Island,
+SW Florida,
+Beckwith (Springfield)
nor +Dallas (I had a private e-mail re: +Stanton's vote and do have him on my NO list.)
nor +Atlanta (+Alexander is said to have spoken of concern about Forrester's theology at the HoB meeting, so I have him as an unconfirmed NO on my list)

The one and only YES vote I've been told about is by +Neff Powell of SW Virginia. He supposedly wrote about his vote in a letter to his clergy following the HoB meeting, but I've been unable to obtain the letter.

I have one NO vote on my list that you do not have. James Adams of Western Kansas. I received an e-mail from Bp. Adams himself about his no vote.

I'd welcome links and confirmations about some of the bishops you have on your list.

My e-mail: AnglicanPrayer@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Oops, I think my comment above could have been clearer for anyone who is trying to do the math.

1. There are 6 bishops on your list who I did not have on my list at all:

+Mississippi
+North Carolina (will take your word for it!)
+Rhode Island
+South Carolina (though I've assumed a No vote would be forthcoming)
+Springfield (ditto re: assumption of a No vote, but not on my list yet.)
+SW Florida

2. I have one bishop (James Adams of W. KS) on my list as a No vote (based on his e-mail) whom you are lacking.

3. I have +Atlanta and +Dallas on my list as NOs but have seen no public confirmation.

4. I have +Neff Powell of SW VA as a seemingly solid yes based on the report of what he wrote his clergy, but would love to read the actual letter.

If we put together your list and mine that gives us 20 Nos and 1 Yes.

Greg Jones said...

Thanks Karen. I spoke with Bishop Curry about this at length, and he has also given me explicit approval to publish his vote on my blog.

Anonymous said...

My one no vote has been Rusty Kimsey based on his rebuttal to Tom Breidenthal. I'll make it two yes's with Karen's info re: Powell, although I agree it would be nice to see it in writing.
For that matter, if we are speculating, Bp Ely of Vermont and Bp Caldwell of Wyoming could also be listed as yes votes since they were involved in the Northern Michigan process AND Bp Little mentions them as supporters of the election of Forrester at HOB.

I will add Bp Curry to my list of no votes based on your testimony here. And I will add Bp Adams based on Karen's testimony.

Matt Gunter said...

I don't think Bishop Kimsey has a vote, actually. Only bishops
"exercising jurisdiction" vote on consents. Unless I am mistaken, this does not include Bishop Kimsey.

He can, as he has, offer an opinion one way or another, but he has no actual vote.

Anonymous said...

Matt,
Thank you. As of February 1st, +Rusty became the Assisting Bishop for Alaska. I may have been too hasty in acknowledging provisional authority, which is what Jerry Lamb has in San Joaquin - not elected, mind you, just by act of the Special Convention of 2008 - and +Jerry has exercised his invitation to return a letter of consent, even though he would not be officially considered bishop of jurisdiction by some.
The letter I read a couple of weeks ago from the Alaska Standing Committee led me to believe one thing; a second reading today is not conclusive. A reading (like I didn't have this section memorized a year ago) of the Canon regarding Dioceses without Bishops has 3 sections, and the letter almost feels like it has made a combo of the first two. Of course, the Canon directly states that a bishop being given provisional authority must be as an act of convention, not simply of a Standing Committee (whereas the SC can act alone in contracting episcopal ministry). +Lamb's ability to exercise consent is done so almost in spite of Article II's definition of a bishop of jurisdiction (Election as Ordinary). Perhaps not spite, but rather a "logical extension." And I was already there with +Rusty as the "Assisting Bishop for.."! I guess the only way to know is to ask Bp Kimsey if he was mailed a consent form to fill out and return. My little study here would say he should have sent it back without giving or witholding consent.
I'll take him off my "yes" list.

Tom Sramek, Jr. said...

Oregon is between Diocesans, so neither a yes nor a no vote from here.