Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Welcome To The 20th Century

I'm pleased that our brothers and sisters from the Church of England have decided that women can be bishops. The AP story I read said that the first woman bishop won't be consecrated until 2014 (it didn't say why), but still it's a step in the right direction.

Some "traditionalists" are said to be upset by this, but, as my wife pointed out to me, they shouldn't really make such a big deal about women bishops. After all, for the last 50 years the head of the Church of England has been a woman -- Queen Elizabeth II. And she reminded me that, going back a bit in history, if it hadn't been for another woman -- Queen Elizabeth I -- there wouldn't be a Church of England, or Anglicanism, as we know them.

So, I trust that our "traditionalist" brothers will recover from their vapors and discover, to their pleasant surprise, that the world will not end in 2014 with the Church of England's first female bishop.

Eric Von Salzen

No comments: